Have you ever looked at the sugar content in store bought eggnog? I don’t even want to talk about how much sugar is in it, it’s mind blowing. Even the “light” eggnog has a lot. My husband is diabetic and enjoying one of his favorite drinks during the holidays, has been hard. That’s where SPLENDA® and I come in. Making eggnog is very simple and doesn’t have a lot of ingredients. If you can devote about 10-15 minutes of stirring at the stove, than you can make this.
The recipe says it takes around 5-8 minutes for the temperature of the milk mixture to get to 175 degrees on low. But I’ve found that it takes a little longer and I kicked up the heat to medium-low. When you see the milk mixture start getting thicker, then you know you are getting close to the 175 degree mark. The hardest part about making eggnog is waiting for it to get cold so you can enjoy a glass.
- 1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 egg yolks
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Mix together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks. Add to SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener mixture whisking until blended. Gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until the temperature reaches 175 degrees approximately (10-15 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in half and half; cool.
- Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 3 days. Stir in vanilla extract just before serving.
Source: Slightly adapted from Splenda Site Recipe