One of my favorite foods is sausage, peppers and onions. Most people grill the sausages and saute peppers and onions together. But I like taking it a few steps further. The Italian way of making this dish is to make it into a yummy tomato sauce. The sausages and veggies get flavor from the tomatoes, herbs and marsala wine. It’s to die for! One thing I would recommend is not to buy that cheap marsala cooking wine you see in the grocery store. It’s not the real thing and the taste is horrible. Go to the liquor store or wine store and get the real stuff, which is only around $5-$6.
If you aren’t in the mood to make the sausages into sandwiches, this recipe would be awesome over some pasta or just as is. Enjoy!
Italian Sausage Peppers and Onions:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2- 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.
- Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Cut the sausages into 4 to 6 pieces each, about 1-inch cubes. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
Source: Giada De Laurentiis via Food Network