Hamburger Helper is a very popular dinner and kids love it. But the reason I don’t like it and don’t make it is because it has tons of preservatives and other things I can’t pronounce. I love the rule that if you can’t pronounce the ingredients, you should not be eating it. I love the ease that Hamburger Helper gives you, but you can make a version of that at home, from scratch! The benefits are you know exactly what is going in and the taste is so much better. My family loves this and I’m sure you will too.
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 whole Small Onion, Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Emeril’s Essence Original Spice Mixture*
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 box Elbow Macaroni, 16 Ounce Box
- 29 ounces, Can Of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add ground beef and onion to a large skillet or pot, along with Emeril’s Essence*, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain meat mixture, if necessary, to get rid of any extra grease. Then put the meat back in the skillet and set aside.
- In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni according to package directions.
- When pasta is done, drain; then add it and the crushed tomatoes to the beef mixture. Turn temperature to medium-low and cook until sauce is heated. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted and combined.
*I tried making this without the Emeril’s and used my own spices. When I made it again with the Emeril’s it made a HUGE difference! I would recommend using it.
Adapted from: The Tasty Kitchen